Thursday, June 23, 2016

How To Remove a Flow Lock Without a Key

During the drought I bought a Flow Lock to prevent people from helping themselves to my water.  They have an interesting magnetic key system and seemed like a good idea.  However I found that over time the tumbler mechanism gets corroded and then it won't unlock - even with a key.

The first time it happened I was able to unlock it by spraying WD-40 and tapping it with a small hammer.  The next time it got stuck nothing worked.  My option was to replace the entire faucet, or find a hack.

The Flow Lock tumbler mechanism, when engaged, couples the outer green metal shell to an inner metal fitting.  When the key isn't inserted. the outer shell spins freely, preventing removal.

My solution was to drill through the outer shell to the inner fitting, and then run a deck screw through the two holes.  This couples the shell to the inner fitting and it came off easily.  Side note: I was amused by the product video for this which claimed that a Flow Lock (also known as a "Spinsecure Faucet Lock II") is "virtually impossible to remove without the key" - I did it in two minutes with basic tools and a 5 cent deck screw.

Tips for doing this:
  1. Use a 5/64" drill bit designed for metal work.
  2. Drill into the center of an indent on the outer shell.  It doesn't seem to matter which indent you choose.  
  3. Maintain steady pressure on the drill.
  4. Stop periodically and cool the drill bit with spray lubricant or machine oil.
Disclaimer: Stealing water is illegal.  Destroying private property is illegal.  This hack is intended for people who own Flow Locks but can't get them off using their key.  

13 comments:

Unknown said...

My apartment complex put one of these locks on our building and now we can not wash our cars.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post.
I'll try it out.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this. I searched high and low for an answer to this really annoying fault with these locks. Yours was the only detailed help, and it worked! My TapLock (as they are called in the UK) just suddenly stopped unlocking after about 2 months of use, with neither of the plastic keys working. I had to ask a friend to do it, with the strength and the right drill/torque, but it took 2/3 minutes to drill the hole in the plastic casing, he screwed a small (maybe 6mm) screw into the hole he'd just drilled, presumably to link the 2 layers of metal, added some twist pressure on the plastic, and the whole unit came off. Yay! I'm off to demand a refund on goods not fit for purpose, and find a more robust solution to locking the tap, but wanted to say Thanks for your advice!

Empress said...

I have one on the spigot in my rental, iit set red is purpose to stop people from stealing water but now I'm moving outI can't get it off with the key. 5 years I never moved it so after 2 hurricanes and normal weathering I guess it's expected. Thanks for your hack I'll try the wd40 and hanner first then graduate to the drill.

Beau said...

THANK YOU!! I will certainly give each of your suggestions a try. I bought my house in June but had not moved in yet when I got my first water bill for 50k gallons. My neighbor has an above ground pool. Let me guess... The city utility lady behind the counter said, 'Oh, that happens all the time. So, I got locks.

Again, thank you for your post.

AMGxR

Beau said...

Thank you!!! I have found I cannot remove my taplock and your post is just what I needed.

AMGxR

Beau said...

THANK YOU!! I will certainly give each of your suggestions a try. I bought my house in June but had not moved in yet when I got my first water bill for 50k gallons. My neighbor has an above ground pool. Let me guess... The city utility lady behind the counter said, 'Oh, that happens all the time. So, I got locks.

Again, thank you for your post.

AMGxR

bahyouphoto said...

Great idea. It worked. After drilling through the casing and into the housing, I just left the drill in the hole, unscrewed the casing, done. Thanks.

W6DTW said...

+mcdocs Sorry but I haven't found a better product solution. I ended up removing the faucet handle screw and pulling off the handle - it won't stop someone, but it then requires a tool so doing this at least stops casual theft or vandalism.

Unknown said...

My husband and uncle tried getting ours off. And i did some research just now and came across your post. First tried unscrewing with a tool but then saw this so i tapped it several times and it finally started to unscrew! Now we can use our new hose lol thank you!

Dave said...

Awesome man! Works perfectly. I've been in this house for almost 5 years and could not use that spigot. Took me about 3 minutes to remove that and make it work again!

Unknown said...

Just solved my problem! Thanks Man!

Unknown said...

This worked. Thanks!!!